Friday, September 19, 2014

Heal Camden

This is the documentary that I referenced in my text post about Camden, New Jersey. Not many think about New Jersey as being a spot for a service learning trip, but Camden is the poorest city in America. The drug use, prostitution, poverty, and violence is astounding and being in such an area gives you the biggest culture shock you could imagine. As I took my tour around the city, I did see everything you witness in the video, but I did see hope. Habitat For Humanity was an organization working within the area that was building for section 8 housing and there were many areas that were re-done and looked absolutely beautiful. However, one street it looked like my own neighborhood and then next street it looked like a ghost town. The only way I could describe it was like watching the Wizard of Oz when it goes from black and white to technicolor; it was shocking. Above all of this, Camden is a growing city of hope and regardless of all the violence and crime that occurs there are many organizations that are working to rebuild the city that has been given a horrible reputation. America is always seen as the richest country in the world, but when you witness places like this, it becomes hard to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment