Saturday, October 11, 2014

Speaking the Unspeakable

I was not exposed to the LGBTQ community in school until I was in high school and participated in the theatre department. Even then, I never made a big deal about it. Talking with my mom about the subject she told me that even as a child I never really questioned it or thought it was weird, mostly because they didn't make anything of it while growing up; they accepted it and taught me how to accept it as well. Growing up, I don't think I would have cared if I had a gay teacher or was read a story about a gay prince/princess. However, I don't think my mom would have appreciated it, mostly because she feels that there is a line between education and what should be taught at home. My mother does not agree with sex ed being taught in school and is a firm believer that this subject should be taught by the parents and that teachers should play the role of educator. My mother, a nurse, always taught me about the birds and bees and never really kept anything a secret when I asked her that question. I have never really been kept away from any taboo topics as a child and for that I am grateful. I do believe that sexuality should be an issue not only addressed at home, but should be reinforced within the classroom. As I read this article, I could not help but think about how I would act as a teacher if I had to address homosexuality. I completely agree with the methods used within the classroom, using books and role-play as a way to introduce the children to homosexuality. However, I also felt that it should be important to inform the parents of what their children will be learning and how they will be learning it. Some parents may feel uncomfortable with this, but some may be completely fine with it, and I feel they would appreciate me as a teacher letting them know what I am doing in the classroom. 

The topic of safe spaces within a school was another important topic within the article. I believe that there should be a safe space for the homosexual community throughout a school, but the fact that there has to be a safe space is a sad idea to me. I am fully supportive of LGBTQ, and believe that safe spaces shouldn't even have to exist but that the whole school should be a safe space. Unfortunately, this is not how the world works, so it is important to have a space for teachers, staff, and students to go to and openly talk about their sexuality without judgement and bullying. I believe that future generations are more open to homosexuality, but it will always be an issue with some people so having those environments is important for many purposes. 







A large issue concerning the LGBTQ community has been suicide. Luckily, there are supportive groups such as The Trevor Project and the It Gets Better Project to help struggling LGBTQ youth. These videos are from Pixar, Apple, the creators itself, Disney, Facebook employees, and Barack Obama supporting the It Gets Better project showing that they are not alone and the darkness will end soon enough:PixarAppleIt Gets Better foundersDisneyFacebookGoogleThe President.

Some have also created and songs to support the It Gets Better Foundation:It Gets Better by Todrick Hall and Broadway sings It Gets Better


My personal favorite, a spoken word poetry video about transgender, shows the struggle that many kids feel throughout their entire lives: Hir



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you and the article that it is vital for people to have a safe place to express their feelings and sexuality, but that there shouldn't have to be a designated space. I think that everyone should be allowed to feel comfortable within their environments to share anything, but obviously that is not the reality so by creating a "safe place" I guess that is a step in the right direction. I also believe parents should be notified and involved in teaching students about homosexuality. It is still considered a sensitive topic, so in order to be respectful I think it is necessary to teach it to young children in a positive and parent-friendly way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the spoken word that you posted. I think it did a good job of portraying the very real struggle and torment that is inside every transgender person. As someone with more than once case of first hand experience, I can say how important the use of correct pronouns is. Some people take the neutral pronouns ze and hir. Others prefer him and her, but it is so important to use the correct ones so we do not offend anyone simply because of what they look like, and this spoken word helped say that as many people do not even know the others exist. But in the end, i think the most important thing to take away is that we are still just people.

    ReplyDelete